Thursday, April 13, 2017

Ready for my First Combat Assault

This snapshot was taken in February 1970 on the log pad at FSB Buttons.  I was standing there ready to head out to the jungle by helicopter for the first time.  We were waiting for the helicopters to arrive.

You can see that my shirt, pants and helmet cover were brand new.  The clothes were probably the last of three pairs I had received at Oakland Army Base in California.

In my left hand, I am holding the barrel of my M16 rifle.  I have not fired it yet but someone else used it before me so I assumed it was OK.  Around my neck is a bandoleer filled with 20 round clips of M16 ammunition.  

On my back is a rucksack.  The rucksack weighed about eighty pounds fully loaded.  Sitting on top, just behind my head is what looks like a pillow but in fact is a 5-quart canteen.  Just below the 5-quart canteen is two 2-quart canteens.  On my waste is a 1-quart canteen.  Add it up and I was carrying ten quarts of water.  The water weighed about 20 lbs. and would have to last me for three days.

Below the 2-quart canteens are two smoke grenades.  We each carried about six smoke grenades.  They were used to mark an area when bringing in a helicopter.  Below the smoke grenades is a poncho, poncho liner and air mattress all rolled together and used for sleeping.  In my rucksack was three days of food, a claymore mine, trip flares, frag grenades and an ammo can that was used to keep personal things dry like my writing paper and wallet.

Standing there, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I was just going with the flow and doing what the veterans did.        

No comments:

Post a Comment