Sunday, September 18, 2016

First Book Signing


I had my first book signing yesterday and it was fun!  Why it took me this long to do one I have no idea.  No one pushing me hard enough to get off my duff I guess.

The chance to set one up came out of nowhere.  I was selling my first boat, a sixteen-foot fishing boat, and it wasn't going well.  So I decided to consign it with Bass Pro Shops in Foxboro, Massachusetts.  The Manager there commented about my Vietnam Veteran hat.  From there, one comment lead to another until he said, "Would you like to do a book signing?"  They were re-opening their in-store restaurant and he thought I should be part of the festivities.  I really had to think about it.  Two days later I called him and said I would.

I quickly had a sign made from an image of my book cover.  I ordered a bunch of books.  Using my laptop, I pulled together a slideshow of my Vietnam pictures.  I dug out my old poncho liner from forty-six years ago for a table cloth.  I was ready to go!

The fun part was talking to ordinary people about my experiences in Vietnam.  Some Vietnam Veterans dropped by and they welcomed me home.  I got to learn about there own Vietnam experiences.  It felt good comparing notes.  I spoke with a twenty-four year veteran of the police force about the parallels between their treatment now and our treatment then.  We formed a bond.  Some young kids shook my hand very solemnly with their parents encouragement.  All in all, the day was a success.  Not from a selling books point-of-view.  It was a beautiful day so it was a slow day at the store.  But I felt like a celebrity.  The restaurant gave me free lunch.  What more do you need?

I may just do another.  Especially if it lands in my lap like this one.          

No comments:

Post a Comment